In a breaking update, it has been confirmed that the suspect who shot two NYPD officers in Queens is an illegal immigrant from Venezuela, identified as 19-year-old Bernardo Raul Castro Matta. This suspect, linked to multiple scooter-related robberies in Queens, entered the U.S. through Eagle Pass, Texas. Living at a migrant shelter in a former Courtyard Marriott hotel, Castro Matta fired at the officers during a foot chase, striking one in the stomach and the other in the leg. Both officers, now in stable condition, demonstrated extraordinary bravery and were wearing bulletproof vests. Upon their release from the hospital, they were met with cheers from fellow NYPD officers and citizens. Mayor Eric Adams condemned the shooting as a “senseless act of violence,” highlighting the dangers law enforcement faces daily. The suspect, also injured and hospitalized, possessed the firearm illegally. This incident underscores the escalating crime patterns involving scooters, which have surged dramatically over the past three years.

Freedom-Loving Beachwear by Red Beach Nation - Save 10% With Code RVM10

Two dedicated NYPD officers were shot while in pursuit of a suspect on a motorized scooter in Queens during the early hours of this morning. The incident took place at the intersection of 89th St. and 23rd Ave. in the Elmhurst neighborhood around 1:41 AM.

Does Kamala Give Democrats A Better Or Worse Chance Of Beating Donald Trump?

By completing the poll, you agree to receive emails from RVM News, occasional offers from our partners and that you've read and agree to our privacy policy and legal statement.

The courageous officers, who were part of the public safety unit in the 115th precinct, spotted the suspect and attempted to pull him over. However, upon being confronted, the suspect abandoned the scooter and fled on foot.

Undeterred, the officers gave chase, determined to ensure the safety of their community. Shockingly, the suspect turned and opened fire, injuring one officer in the back and grazing the other officer’s stomach.

At least one of the officers returned fire, managing to hit the 19-year-old suspect in the leg.

Upon the arrival of emergency services, the injured officers were quickly transported to Elmhurst General Hospital, where they are receiving medical treatment for their injuries. Meanwhile, the suspect was taken into custody and transferred to Booth Memorial Hospital for medical attention.

This harrowing incident serves as a stark reminder of the immense risks that law enforcement officers face daily while safeguarding our communities. The bravery and dedication demonstrated by these officers in the face of danger is truly commendable, and their sacrifices deserve our utmost respect and support.

As the investigation into this incident continues, our thoughts and prayers are with the injured officers for a swift and full recovery.

The opinions expressed by contributors and/or content partners are their own and do not necessarily reflect the views of RVM News. Contact us for guidelines on submitting your own commentary.