Recently released dashcam footage captured the intense moment when a Harris County Precinct 4 Constable’s Office deputy constable found himself in a life-threatening situation while confronting a robbery suspect in the Klein area last Friday.

Deputy Constable Deteryon Fontonet was the target of gunfire during the incident but, thankfully, was discharged from the hospital later that same day. Fontonet sustained injuries from bullet fragments in three different areas of his body.

Freedom-Loving Beachwear by Red Beach Nation - Save 10% With Code RVM10

In the video footage, Fontonet is seen issuing commands to the suspect, later identified as Danthony Simms-Coleman. Despite Fontonet’s clear instructions to cooperate, Simms-Coleman defied orders and instead reached for a firearm concealed within the vehicle he was operating.

Do you support the police?

Moments later, shots rang out, and the video captures Simms-Coleman fleeing between residences while returning fire at Fontonet.

The video, provided by the Harris County Precinct 4 Constable’s Office to KHOU 11 News, depicts the dramatic standoff, freezing just before the gunshots erupt, before resuming with Simms-Coleman evading capture near the truck and ultimately firing back at Fontonet.

Constable Mark Herman reported that the deputy constables were responding to reports of armed robbery incidents at two separate Academy stores, one in Willowbrook Mall and the other on Kuykendahl near the Grand Parkway. Witnesses informed authorities that a suspect brandishing an AR-15 rifle had perpetrated the robberies.

Fontonet encountered Simms-Coleman, a 23-year-old suspect, who led him on a pursuit that concluded on Slashwood Lane, situated within a residential area near Louetta and Kuykendahl intersection. Although additional law enforcement units were en route, Fontonet engaged with Simms-Coleman by himself initially, in a courageous effort to protect the community.

In the heat of the confrontation, Simms-Coleman opened fire on Fontonet, prompting the deputy to seek safety while under attack.

Herman emphasized Fontonet’s fortune in sustaining only superficial injuries from bullet fragments, narrowly avoiding a more direct assault.

As backup arrived on the scene, Simms-Coleman chose to discard his weapon and surrender after darting between houses. Herman disclosed that the suspect had personal ties to the neighborhood, explaining his presence in the area.

Court records indicate that Simms-Coleman faces charges of aggravated assault of a public servant following the dangerous incident.

The opinions expressed by contributors and/or content partners are their own and do not necessarily reflect the views of RVM News. Contact us for guidelines on submitting your own commentary.